They help you eradicate the mice, roaches, insects, snails, slugs, and even snakes. I only recently discovered them and they are becoming quite problematic. But, this is the only possum repellent that I know of that works, and it certainly is the best one out there. Those hungry possums will overcome their aversion for the odor when food and shelter are at stake. If you experienced any of this, you probably really want them out of your property. I know, because I end up going to these houses where people have tried out Would love your thoughts, please comment. Homemade Natural Possum Repellent. With these various commercial and homemade skunk repellent recipes and other home remedies, you should have no problem finding a solution that works for you and your family. Wildlife Removal is the largest and most trusted wildlife control company in the United States. The smell of the pet hair, especially dog, is believed to trick the opossum into thinking there is a predator nearby. Are possums causing you problems? What Smells Possums Hate, How to Get Rid of Possums? We have so many things at home which can help us to keep the possum away from our place. I would get up every morning with possum pee and poo all over my front step and the rose chewed to bare stems. January 10, 2021 by 0 comments. Possum repellant ideas that make sense Before you head on over to your local wildlife store, or spend hundreds of dollars on random repellants that you see on the internet, there are a few things that you will need to bear in mind. After we’ve learned what smells and tastes possums despise, here’s how to use them to your advantage – make homemade possum repellents. Double precaution is better. In fact, when it comes to opossums, it might actually lure them in, I kid you not! While possums aren't typically as devastating to a garden or yard as some other forms of wildlife, seeing them in the area can be disconcerting, as they can grow quite large. Here are some DIY tips which can help us very effectively. cheap ($14.95) possum repellents, or even home made possum repellents, but it didn't work, so I was called out to properly trap and remove the animal. The Sprinkler Method. The same applies to other strongly-scented fluids like bleach and vinegar. If you don’t feel like bothering with the granules, go ahead and use another natural possum repellent, namely the Red Fox Urine. do pest control companies remove opossums? RaccoonsRaccoon Removal Information & How-To Tips, SquirrelsSquirrel Removal Information & How-To Tips, OpossumOpossum Removal Information & How-To Tips, SkunksSkunk Removal Information & How-To Tips, RatsRat Removal Information & How-To Tips, MiceMouse Removal Information & How-To Tips, MolesMole Removal Information & How-To Tips, GroundhogGroundhog Removal Information & How-To Tips, ArmadillosArmadillo Removal Information & How-To Tips, BeaverBeaver Removal Information & How-To Tips, CoyotesCoyote Removal Information & How-To Tips, BirdsBird Removal Information & How-To Tips, BatsBat Removal Information & How-To Tips, SnakesSnake Removal Information & How-To Tips, DeadDead Animal Removal Information & How-To Tips, OthersOther Wildlife Species Information & How-To Tips. Perhaps it would be wise to dedicate a few traps just for opossum. Additionally, another reader came up with a way to stop possums eating their rose shoots using fish oil. One solution to this problem is the use of solid walled box traps, such as the Plasti-catch, but when you catch an opossum in a This high frequency sound measures at about 20000 Hertz, which is higher than the normal frequency that is picked by human ears. truck for long, because it will surely create a mess on my truck bed. We’ve explained how to do that in this post. While possums aren't typically as devastating to a garden or yard as some other forms of wildlife, seeing them in the area can be disconcerting, as they can grow quite large. When performed along with prevention and repellent methods, trapping can also be the quickest way to get rid of them. Possums are protected species in Australia by Wildlife Act 1975! pest control of possums - Make a fresh possum removal - Wait until the possum is out. Your best bet as a troubled homeowner is to adopt exclusion practices that will block all access of wildlife into your space, and live-trap any resident opossum. Yates Possum Repellent Spray helps protect your precious plants by deterring possums from feeding on sprayed plants. Don’t forget that opossums can also get used to smells over time, meaning that a repellent which was once effective may not remain that way. Scents To Try A quick online search will show you a long list of home remedies that theoretically work as possum repellents. Now you have a concentrated repellent. It would help if you seal the entrances while the critters are away. Need possum removal in your hometown? The advice here uses the information provided by DELWP’s (Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning Australia) in their Possum Repellent Fact Sheet. There are plenty of ways to deal with skunks. The success rate recorded for electronic repellents however, falls really short of most buyers’ expectation and it can thus be concluded that high pitch sound deterrent machines are not effective in deterring opossums. Boil 1 litre of water and steep 50 grams of quassia chips (South American tree bark) for an hour and after that strain it. Opossums are definitely the smelliest animals that I deal with. Since they’re nocturnal creatures, that would be at night. The tree-hanging, fuzzy, crazy-eyed mammal draws a uniquely love/hate relationship amongst homeowners and animal lovers alike, making it hard to know if you should want the funny creature around your property. should you remove opossums yourself or hire a professional? It is natural fox urine, without any chemicals added. Place the mothballs in key places – near the entrances, corners, suspected hiding spots. All rights reserved. Or maybe running along the fence just to mock your helplessness. Feb 23, 2016 - Homemade Natural Possum Repellent. Homemade Natural Possum Repellent. You may also like. © Copyright 2020 by Wildlife Removal. The only way to solve an opossum problem is to actually remove the animal(s), but trap, snare pole, or exclusion. It's not just the smell of this mess that bothers me, but I wonder if the scent of an opossum might rub off onto, Making a mess in your garage or roof and scaring the living daylights out of your pets at night? You have the option to add 1-2 teaspoons potassium-based detergent to make the solution stickier. Should I put out even more of this stuff? Well, it's 3am and they were slamming around - woke me up. Sometimes possums get used to a scent and will ignore the oil. It is no wonder that most home owners prefer not to have them at all. Below is a list of the top 5 raccoon repellents and deterrents that you can use to help end the nightly raccoon parties and a simple buying guide that answers the most common questions that consumers have on repellents and deterrents. Within 4 days my rose has new shoots my door step is clean and the possum has gone on to easierm pickings. Bits and chips of its bark can be bought over the counter and used to prepare an extremely effective homemade possum repellant spray. possum in basement - Article topics include: Opossum Repellent - Keep Away Possums - How to keep away opossums - do possum repellents work - opossum deterrent - possum spray repellant. How to Get Rid of … We can take it from here, Book professional possum remover to deal with your problem. These marsupials are omnivores, so they're just … All of the following essential oils are good for possum repellent: Peppermint oil; Lavender oil; Spearmint oil; You can try mixing them or experimenting with various oils. Sometimes, but less often, they work because of how they feel (food texture). The special combination of ingredients deters possums for up to 7 days and can be used on ornamental and edible plants with only a 1 day withholding period. A trap is the most effective way to remove opossums from your property. Opossums and other animals can however hear this sound because of their supersonic auditory system. I purchased 8 ounces of pure Mar 18, 2017 - Homemade Natural Possum Repellent. They might not like it, but if they’re starving, they’ll eat it. Book 25 + professional services from GoFantastic app in less than 30 seconds. Here is how to use mothballs against possums: Locate the hiding place of the possum. Cats and dogs are also very helpful to get rid of the possum. Reapply every two weeks and always after rain. Thus this solution rarely works. types of possum damage - In actual fact, it has been proven severally that wildlife are not affected by the scent of moth balls. Call a pest controller to inspect the place, Tired of this battle with possums? Properly sourced, straight urine has a slightly better chance if applied to an attic or chimney space. May 1, 2018 - Homemade Natural Possum Repellent. After that, strain it and pour it in a spray bottle. October 10, 2020 0. I did this around 4:30pm. They usually find a way around it with time. Hello. We know a trick or two that can help you get rid of possums in a natural way by using homemade possum repellent with ingredients you might already have at home. I have been fighting with possums for a long time and the victory was clearly not on my side but on the side of the possums. In fact, fox urine works the best. Mixing a cup of molasses with two pints of water is one such home recipe, while another solution that is said to drive them away is a mixture of hot chilli peppers, garlic and water made into solution, and then these mixtures are spread on to leaves and around any hedges at the edge of your yard or garden. It is however, pertinent to note that an odious smell is not enough to deter an animal fighting for survival. possum repellent - The machine is usually powered with electricity or battery. Then I did not hear them until 10:30pm. Fantastic Services © 2021. I will definitely try all your advice. they all help you to understand that how to get rid of possum Use Cat or Dog Hair. possum in the wall - My Response: Coyote urine usually doesn't work. I know, because I end up going to these houses where people have tried out cheap ($14.95) possum repellents, or even home made possum repellents, but it didn't work, so I was called out to properly trap and remove the animal. However, in reality it can wreak havoc on your home. - The only fool-proof way to really keep the opossum out of your property is to remove all traces of food and to practice exclusion by proofing your building, blocking all possible entry points. Thanks for such a helpful and informative article. Electronic repellents like the high pitch sound deterrent machine are well backed with lofty claims and buyers therefore have a high expectation of what they want to see them achieve. Possum Repellent Spray - Of course, I … How to Get Rid of Rats in The Roof Without Poison. Acquired taste we might say. Opossums hear the irritating sound quite alright, but have grown quite adept at tolerating it in order to achieve their aim of being in your yard. I've witnessed countless clients try to use mothballs, ammonia, coyote urine, high-pitch ultrasonic sound blasters, regular radios, So, besides that, the only natural possum repellent that actually works is predator urine. These marsupials are omnivores, so they're just … Before using, dilute it with water with proportions 1:4. When this happens, switch up the oil. coyote urine from a local fee store and put that into small cups. Then she didn’t even go out for a week in the backyard. This is meant to startle them into running away, but again, a sprinkle of water would scarcely drive a foraging critter away for long. How to Make a Possum Repellent? Different brands of high pitch sound deterrent machines exist in stores and some of them are Bird X high pitch sound emitter, Ridex sound emitter, Bell and the Howell high pitch sound emitter. Mix the ingredients in a bowl and let it sit overnight. Tovolo Star pop molds are perfect for making homemade ice pops filled with your favorite juice, soda, sport drink, smoothie, or your favorite mix. opossums in the attic - Opossum repellants basically aim to drive the animal away from your yard by using its sharp sense of smell against it. "Add about half a cup of oil to one litre of water and spray it on the shoots. a stark difference is going to be the concern that household pets or small children may consume the granules before they disperse into the ground. I put two cups near the entrance I know they are using, and then four other cups around the opposite end of the attic. Coupled with their ineffectiveness in banishing opossums from your property, most sound deterrent machines are also expensive to purchase. You can add 1-2 teaspoons potassium-based detergent or natural dish soap to the mixture, which will make the solution stickier and last longer. Time to call in the professionals to make your garden possum-free. Fish oil to deter possums. A cup of molasses mixed and dissolved in a liter of water serves as a viable repellent for possums, which are drawn to leafy plants in your garden or flower bed. A final homemade repellent is to dissolve some molasses in water and apply this to areas you don't want to the opossums to visit. A rose over an arbour was being constantly grazed by a possum. Oct 12, 2016 - Homemade Natural Possum Repellent. I often think of it as an attractant. Use it to spray around in the garden. Some folks don’t really mind having opossums on their property because they help to control most other pets. photos of possum poop - Natural possum deterrents affect differently their senses, and the most effective ones repel because of their smell, taste or both. Make Them Leave in a Natural Way. How To Use a Live Opossum Trap. Go back to the Opossum Removal page. Plasti-catch, the smell will linger for a long, long time. How To Get Rid Of Possums [Homemade Traps And Repellents] ... Set the possum path on a protective surface such as plywood or soft ground as the trapped possum may try to dig the ground and escape. While possums aren't typically as devastating to a garden or yard as some other forms of wildlife, seeing them in the area can be disconcerting, as they can grow quite large. Use a live-holding cage trap that won’t hurt or kill possums. Don’t have a cat? should you remove opossums yourself or hire a professional. Homemade Natural Possum Repellent. These products come in liquid or granule form and may require mixing with other ingredients. In the same vein, many folks swear by homemade repellants, with preparation methods readily available for any do-it-yourself home owner. That marking tool is fox urine. Before using, dilute it with water with proportions 1:4. I thought they were maybe moving their Opossums just don't care. possum trapping - Wildlife professionals would tell you the only effective method of ousting these pests is to trap and remove them. On the flip side though, they are just like other wildlife pests in that they are scavengers who carry parasites that in turn transmit diseases like leptospirosis, tuberculosis, relapsing fever, tularemia and spotted fever. Sometimes, you might successfully repel a possum using specific food, only to find out later it’s no longer effective. how to catch a possum - Opossums always emit a musky odor which permeates a box trap, and they almost always leave copious amounts of urine and feces. So the stinkier, the better! babies out. their moving around. • Skunk-off® (S) (proprietary repellent product): follow label instructions. homemade possum repellent ... for the stars with these fun star shaped frozen treat. A half-eaten plant is better than no plant at all, but we can probably agree that’s not the most desirable outcome. These machines emit a high frequency sound that is targeted at confusing and scaring the nuisance animals away. There’s a bonus benefit – no moths either. Again, they were quiet, but moving around near the entrance they have been using. Boil 1 litre of water and steep 50 grams of quassia chips (South American tree bark) for an hour and after that strain it. What Do Dubia Cockroaches Eat? It might not seem like much, but for the nocturnal possum, seeing shiny glass eyes staring from behind the bushes is probably scary enough not to return. For more information, check out our privacy policy . Predator urine: many of the solutions sold in stores are touted to contain the urine of opossum predators like fox, coyote, bobcat, and even bear. There is no effective opossum repellent. And with time, returnee opossums get so used to the sound that they totally ignore it. I also spritzed a little of it on the roof where I had seen them walking around two nights ago. Unfortunately for property owners, possums are plentiful in and around the Melbourne area, making it necessary for people to possum-proof their buildings to keep out these nocturnal creatures. Yep. Now you have a concentrated repellent. say, a squirrel trap, and make that trap less effective. These marsupials are omnivores, so they're just … If you still notice damages, you might have another type of rodent at home. You probably want to do it the right way - with trapping and removal. Their smell is unbearable to the possums, which makes the place no longer desirable. These marsupials are omnivores, so they're just … Why? do pest control companies remove opossums? Fox urine has been found to work best in repelling opossums. November 18, 2020 0. But even if the process seems straight forward, there are a few steps on how to ensure it’s successful. etc, to get rid of opossums, but these things don't work. Here’s more on horticultural soap and how to use it. Possums can’t stand pungent smells. You will need 2 tablespoons chopped garlic and 1-litre hot water. A garlic-based spray, for instance, can be used on plants and areas that you want opossums to stay out of. Since it is unlikely that either of these is roaming around the neighborhood, you may need to visit your local outdoor sporting shop and purchase some. Being inaudible to humans makes the machine better suited for use around residential areas, although domestic pets with supersonic hearing ability may have some problems with it. You can use natural deterrents in the garden to stop the possums from eating your plants and fruits., or in roof cavities or other closed parts in your home, where the possum might be hiding. Because to know it doesn’t like the taste of something, the possum needs to bite it first. how to remove opossums from the garden - possum in the house - Immerse approximately 4 ounces of Quassia chips in half a gallon of water and heat it slowly for an hour or so over low heat, so that the water absorbs as much of … Fantastic Services is your one-stop shop for 25+ professional home cleaning and maintenance services, provided within Australia. Don’t want to lose the battle with the possum? These marsupials are omnivores, so they're just … A possum may look like a cute and cuddly creature. They’re usually made out of metal, painted black with reflective glass eyes which. Operating 24/7/365. The last straw was that late at night I heard a terrible howl and screams in my yard, it turned out that they were possums who just attacked my poor dog. Or does it take a while for them to figure it out? To use it, you just need to put in place the sprinkler lid and sprinkle the place where you do not want to see the possums a little. Possums are most definitely not picky eaters. The only home improvement newsletter you will ever need! To read more about general critter repellents of all kinds, click Critter Repellent. And they were right next to (like within inches) of where I knew one of the strongest smelling cups of urine was. Technology plays part in a water-based repellent for possums. Some might even damage your plants by drying them out! Here’s what smells you can use against possums: *For example, you can spray blood and bone meal around flowers. The opossum – or colloquially “possum” – is North America’s only marsupial. Re-apply it two times per week or after rain, Of course, you can try using it inside, but you risk repelling your family too. While possums aren't typically as devastating to a garden or yard as some other forms of wildlife, seeing them in the area can be disconcerting, as they can grow quite large. Never mind what the manufacturers claim. Live traps have a good success rate, are cost-effective and do not harm opossums; they are also environmental friendly. Crushed Garlic: the pungent aroma of garlic cloves is believed in some quarters to keep possums at bay. The use of moth balls as repellant is strongly discouraged as they do pollute the environment and are capable of causing cancer. Email us at info@wildlife-removal.com - Professional and Humane Wildlife Removal Servicing the Entire USA, Raccoon Removal Information & How-To Tips, Squirrel Removal Information & How-To Tips, Opossum Removal Information & How-To Tips, Groundhog Removal Information & How-To Tips, Armadillo Removal Information & How-To Tips, Dead Animal Removal Information & How-To Tips, Other Wildlife Species Information & How-To Tips, Click here to hire us in your town and check prices. Wildlife professionals would tell you the only effective method of ousting these pests is to trap and remove them, but let’s take a look at some raccoon repellants available in stores: We service over 500 USA locations! I think opossums actually like some of the smelly repellents people use. Opossums just don't care. The presence of cats and other animals usually keeps possums at bay. That is why we have compiled this natural skunk repellent master list to help you maintain a skunk-free yard. May 5, 2019 - Homemade Natural Possum Repellent. However, predator urine-based products do not have a great track record or success rate in repelling opossums. Attaching Spikes Another way of deterring possums that may offer results is using spikes.